Re: tlug: Bill Gates should be MIME-encoded and left that way for a week

From: Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Bill Gates should be MIME-encoded and left that way for a week
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 16:53:48 +0900 (JST)

> I think EUC and SJIS are 8-bit, and JIS is 7-bit... we encode our Japanese
> mailing lists into 7-bit JIS before sendmail sends out the messages...
> something about compatibility, I don't know.. I just do what the Japanese
> people say they want :)

I thought it was because some (old??) mail routers were designed for ASCII
(which is a seven bit standard) therefore in order to remove the chance of
the 8th bit being stripped off some where along the way S-JIS (and EUC too
I assume from what you say) should be converted to JIS before sending.

tim :)
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: