Re: tlug: Bill Gates should be MIME-encoded and left that way for a week

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Isn't there anybody at Microshaft in charge of making sure that
> Internet programmers can (and do) read RFCs?
>
> In case you're wondering what I'm bitching about, Shift JIS is NOT
> encoded in seven bits.  (Well, maybe there's an out.  Mike, would you
> send me something with one Japanese character in it?  I'm curious if
> MimeOLE---looks like a viral disease to me, probably the most recent
> "Hong Kong chicken flu"---is "smart" enough to check high bits in all
> the bytes.)

I think EUC and SJIS are 8-bit, and JIS is 7-bit... we encode our Japanese
mailing lists into 7-bit JIS before sendmail sends out the messages...
something about compatibility, I don't know.. I just do what the Japanese
people say they want :)

> Anyway, what I really want to know (that somebody on TLUG might know)
> is "where I can find the registry of MIME charsets?" (preferably
> online).
>
> I had to go through some contortions to get Mike's recent messages to
> display, because VM doesn't believe in making life easy for people
> whose friends don't comply with RFCs....  Kyle Jones will not change
> VM to autodisplay Shift JIS unless it's registered.  And ya know what?
> I agree, and wouldn't ask anyway.
>
> Steve

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.