Re: tlug: Maxwell WP for Linux

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Craig Oda wrote:

> On 4 Mar 1998, Jon Babcock wrote:
>
> > The maxwell <http://www.eeyore-mule.demon.co.uk/> wp ran straight away
> > (2.0.32, Debian) but went tits up when I tried to import a jpeg. Also,
> > couldn't get the bulleted list to do anything. Only spent a few
> > minutes with it, but my impression is that it's right at that "just
> > 10% left to go" stage. Too bad, the UI is intuitive. (It's mildly
>
> Jon,
> I've got parts of maxwell working now.  I can print easily
> and the fonts look okay.  There are some spacing problems,
> but it's not too bad. I cannot import images though.  This is
> what I really want.  There are only a couple things that
> I don't like about straight LaTeX in Emacs.  These are that
> it is difficult to visualize the placement of images and
> tables without calling up xdvi or gv.  Maxwell looks to be
> too unstable right now.  Though, it does look promising.
>
> Maybe I'll give LyX a try again.  Though, what I really want
> is for LyX to output an HTML or XML document as a single
> file.  The last time I tried it, I don't think it could do it.
> Japanese support would be nice too.

LyX works well... the Corel WordPerfect for Linux works much better,
though.  You can even try it for free - download it from
ftp.turbolinux.com and you get a free 15-day trial.  if you know what
you're doing, ie, you know which file to remove, the trial is indefinite..

> Regards,
> Craig
>

> ---
> craig@example.com

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.