help: mouse

I'm trying to use one of the three-button mice that I've
got here at work with my Debian 1.3.1 (dattakke?) machine.
I've tried a number of three-button mice, and have been
able to get _none_ of them to work with _any_ of the
protocols offered by XF86Setup.  Now, I _know_ this isn't
Linux's fault.  The only weak link in the chain is the
connector.  The machine takes mouse input through a DB9
serial port, and all the mice have DIN-type plugs.  I've
got a plug adapter, and this is the only thing that I can
imagine is mucking things up.

BTW, the mouse that I'm actually using is a 2-button and
is not especially different in aspect from those I'm trying
to hook up.  It's an ordinary, generic Microsoft-protocol
mouse, with a DIN-type plug.  I can't see what's different!

Has anyone ever seen this kind of problem?  Anyone have a
clue what I can do to get the 3-button mice to work?  (BTW,
to those who might misunderstand the problem and tell me
how to get a 2-button mouse to emulate the 3rd button, thanks,
but I know that already :^)

Yoroshiku,
Dave

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: