sgmltools [was Re: tlug: ftp USER expired

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> BTW what are people using to read <!doctype linuxdoc
> system>.sgml files?

Jim,
those files can be converted into a number of formats
with the Linux sgmltools package.  This package was called
linuxdoc before.   My favorite methods are to convert to
postscript with sgml2latex then running it through appropriate
LaTeX commands.  I then view with gv, which rocks over ghostview
IMHO.  gv has anti-alias and I usually crank up font magnification
to 1.4 or 2.0.  I also use ps2pdf quite often because I like
the user interface of Adobe Acrobat for Linux on the pdf files.

You could also edit the latex files and have it use package
times for better PostScript fonts.

One last note on doc processing is that I saw a post on
comp.os.linux.announce about a new Linux wordprocessor called
maxwell.   I was never able to detar the file.  I've never
found a wp for that has worked for me and always use LaTeX
or sgml.  However, the screenshot of maxwell with an embedded
image was nice.  I don't think lyx can show wysiwyg images in
the text, can it?

-- Craig

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: