Re: tlug: Linux on laptop

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:

>  >
>  > You shouldn't need to know what kind of PCMCIA controller it has... with
>  > TurboLinux, at least, if the pcmcia-cs has a module for your PCMCIA
>  > controller, it will be autodetected and used.  And, it will autodetect and
>  > use your pcmcia network/scsi/etc.  The sound, however... you'd have to use
>  > TL 1.2 with the modular sound support .. but it would probably work.
> Are you so sure. I have a friend with a Toshiba laptop and a ToPIC95 PCMCIA
> controller. This controller is not supported, but I found out that the Toshiba
> notes have an option in the BIOS setup that switches the controller to a
> compatibility mode that works with linux. Another problem may be some timing
> adjustments or interrupt selections that have to be made when using the
> pcmcia-cs, does TurboLinux support that? More importantly, the real trouble
> starts, when you have pcmcia cards that are not recognized by the cardmanager.
> Sometimes it is possible to patch the pcmcia-cs, so that they can be used.

TurboLinux uses the standard pcmcia-cs (2.9.12 I believe, along with the
2.0.33 kernel, in 1.2USA/1.4J).  If its cardmgr is able to detect it,
TL will work with it.  Admittedly I've only tried it on three different
notebooks, though.

>  >
>  > Anyone with a laptop want to be a TL 1.4J beta tester and find out?
>  >
> I already volunteered to beta test, or maybe I did not make that clear in my
> mail. So if you tell me how to get TL 1.4J, I will test it on my note and my
> desktop.

It's been delayed a bit.  A one-off will be sent to you directly for you
to test when it's ready (we pay to send it, of course).

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: