Re: tlug: have you seen THIS before?

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Craig Olinsky wrote:

> Text item:
>

> > SO, I install Windows, everything goes fine but then gives me a CPU
> > exception error right at the end.  Strange, I think.  Then I go to install
> > Linux.  While installing, at random points in the install, it will
> > spontaneously hard-reset itself!  No warning, nothing, just ZAP, and we're
> > back to checking memory.
>
> > Now, I suspect bad ram here.
>
> I've never seen a pure memory error signalled as a "CPU problem" before, so you
> may truly have a bad chip (defective, too!).  Is the BIOS recent enough to have
> do a hardware-level diagnositic (i.e, anything more than the basic memory test?)
>
> I'd try replacing the cache memory first before I went for the system ram, at
> least if the ram is from a "reliable" vendor...
>
> Craig (craig_olinsky@example.com)

well, it's like I said, it'll run for hours under Windows (now that it's
installed), but try to install Linux and BAM, hard reset at any random
point during the install.  Which makes me suspect memory, knowing what I
do about the differences between Linux and Win95 memory allocation.

The hardware was bought in the USA, and it's now in Japan, so exchanging
things is hard.  I have a bunch of test machines here at work, though, so
I can borrow two matching, working SIMMs and try those out in the machine.
 That should at least isolate the problem.  And, I can put memtestx86 on a
floppy and try that out, too.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: