Re: tlug: UPS for Linux?

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Yong-Ming Hua wrote:

> Dear Scott,
>
>      I am so glad to hear that there is a way to prevent unfriendly
> power cut for Linux. I will get a APC-made UPS. You've just saved
> not only the servers'possible crash, but also my biiiiiiig worries.
> There are people in uni who even charge you personally for the crash
> ya know. I am relieved. Thanks Scott.

No problem.

> >start a shutdown sequence.  What's even neater is that your OTHER Linux
> >machines on your network can talk to the server via tcp/ip, so when the
> >power goes down, the server will broadcast to the other machines that the
> >power's out, so they can *all* shut down.
>
>     Isn't this wonderful?

Yeah, I like it.  According to the docs, this setup is still being tested,
but it seems to work.  Although it does assume (obviously) that all your
systems are on a UPS, otherwise, it wouldn't do any good to tell them to
shut down, since they'd be shut off from not being on the UPS.  So, if
that's the case, you can hook up all your systems to their own individual
UPSes and run separate apcupsds on each one.

> >I have it all set up and working - I'll mail you my /etc/apcupsd.conf if
> >you need it.  Just go to sunsite, download it (I think it's in system/ups
> >or something like that), and install it.  If you have trouble configuring
> >it, let me know.
>
>     Right, I go for it. If no luck, I go to you.
>

> >I recommend the APC BkPro or the APC SmartUPS.  The SmartUPS outputs a
> >little more detailed info to the server, but I haven't seen them for sale
> >in Japan.
>
>   I will try to find them.

I've personally got a BkPro 500 here.  You can get them for about 4 man at
Yodobashi Camera or Sofmap, in Shinjuku.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: