Re: tlug: Linux/WinNT Lilo Trouble

Hi,

> I have just installed Linux Slackware3.4 on my WindowsNT Machine. All
> is well expect that the I cannot boot WinNT using LILO. If I don't
> install LILO WinNT boots okay but than I have to boot Linux from
> a bootdisk Floppy.

> My WinNT resides on a 4.2GB EIDE Hard Disk that I have partioned into
> 2 (Drive C: and D:) I have installed Linux on another 2.1GB EIDE disk.

> I do not know why LILO is having trouble booting WinNT. (Is it because
> that the DOS partition resides beyond cylinder 1024 ?) Can some
> one who knows about this problem please help me to get LILO working.

I've had this problem on disks over 4.0 Gb as well.  NT4.0's NTLDR
seems to conflict with Lilo on disk mapping over 4.0Gb.  NT3.5 is
fine however.  There was a report that NT4.0 is using a previously
reserved part of the boot sector which conflicts with lilo.

As far as I know, there isn't any fix for this yet, other than to
use a smaller disk.

-Joe.

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: