Re: tlug: TLUG server as learning tool

> I would like to propose that the configuration of the TLUG server
> be viewed as a learning opportunity.  The idea I have is just
> to start off with the basic Linux system with not much installed,
> IP, ethernet, routing, basic IP daemons.  Then, we arrange
> teams where people remotely try to tackle a project.  We could
> make sure that at least one person in the group knows what
> they are doing, but that the novices get a chance to learn.
In this case you either preinstall all that is needed or you
have the necessary install files ready on the server (by
connecting a CD-drive with CD in it or so. When you want it as a
learning tool, the latter is better. The drive may be taken away
when everything is in place.
> For example, instead of getting someone that knows how to
> install majordomo do the installation, why not let someone
> that has never done it, take a crack at it and then let someone
> that has done it, review it for security holes or other
> misconfigurations.
Good idea.
> The same could be done for INN and the DNS.  Most of the fun
> is in the configuration, so why not help novices enjoy that
> rush for the first time.  We could do the same for Apache
> and eVote.
INN is tough - as is news administration in general. The person
doing that should have an elmer at hand who teaches him/her
beforehands.
> Another project is moving the Perl CGI scripts from TWICS to
> the new server.  The Perl experts could help the Perl novices
> edit the files with the new settings and place the files
> in the proper places.
This one is not too difficult and well suited for teaching.

You can place me in the teacher's list. I already taught system
administration to quite a few people. Hope I didn't forget too
much ;-)

BTW, I never did majordomo or apache. I still come from the cern
httpd age. However, I don't see any difficulties in switching to
apache. Majordomo is an automated mailing list maintainer. As I
know quite well my way around mailing lists, I'm not afraid of
that one either :-).

BTW, I recommend all who are new to Linux system administration
to read "Linux Network Administrator's Guide" by Olaf Kirch. You
can buy it from O'Reilly or download it from one of the Linux
Documentation Project's sites. It contains all the basic info
required to get a system running.

Needless to say, the teacher must have root access. This is a
security risk. However, you can take it away after everything is
in place.

Putting everything under cvs/rcs is highly desirable, because
this allows the teacher to see all the moves of his pupil and
this makes the detection of mistakes MUCH easier when everything
is done remotely. The pupil, in turn, can see what his teacher
did and learn from it.

I once wrote a short instruction how to get a server running.
The bad news: it is quite old and written in German. If you
want, I can translate it into English - just not the next two
weeks, as I am busy with urgent stuff :-((( that MUST be done.

If speed is required, I can forward it to one of the other
german speakers here and ask them to translate it.....

                                 Greetings from Munich
                                 Karl-Max Wagner
                                 karlmax@example.com
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: