tlug: TLUG server as learning tool

Hi,
I would like to propose that the configuration of the TLUG server
be viewed as a learning opportunity.  The idea I have is just
to start off with the basic Linux system with not much installed,
IP, ethernet, routing, basic IP daemons.  Then, we arrange
teams where people remotely try to tackle a project.  We could
make sure that at least one person in the group knows what
they are doing, but that the novices get a chance to learn.

For example, instead of getting someone that knows how to
install majordomo do the installation, why not let someone
that has never done it, take a crack at it and then let someone
that has done it, review it for security holes or other
misconfigurations.

The same could be done for INN and the DNS.  Most of the fun
is in the configuration, so why not help novices enjoy that
rush for the first time.  We could do the same for Apache
and eVote.

To me, even if it takes more time, the group members will
get more out of it.

Another project is moving the Perl CGI scripts from TWICS to
the new server.  The Perl experts could help the Perl novices
edit the files with the new settings and place the files
in the proper places.

This could be kind of like a virtual classroom on Linux
system admin.  I think that both teacher and student would
benefit because the best way to learn something is to
teach it.

I'm interested in feedback on 1) the idea in general,
2) do we have enough teachers and students?

Regards,
Craig

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: