Re: tlug: tlug.ml.org

> What does everyone think of tlug.ml.org as the domain?
> The main benefit is that it is completely free.  Check out
> the FAQ.  We could slice off a chunk of the ml.org domain
> and control the tlug.ml.org section from our own DNS running
> on the TLUG server.  This way, we don't have to be dependent
> on the pht.co.jp DNS and can just rip in there ourselves.
EXCELLENT IDEA !!!!!
> It could be fun to run the DNS.  I scanned through the FAQ and
> the first step is to set up the DNS on the server, then
> apply with NIC.
Setting up a DNS is actually rather simple and unproblematic.
The only thing is that you have to watch out not to make any
mistakes in the named config files or you get strange problems
that are difficult to track down. However, there is dnswalk,
which finds most mistakes (unfortunately not all). But once it
runs, it runs.

Setting it up takes a few hors, at most.

A few thoughts on the server name of TLUG in general....

Actually, I personally do not think a lot about a xxx.jp domain.
The thing is that TLUG started out as a regional group - sort
of. The interesting thing is that it was mainly made up of
foreigners - and still is for the most part. At least most
members were localized in the Kanto region.

However, even that isn't the case anymore. There are quite a few
members living in the US, in Europe, in Australia etc.

Let's face it: it has become a GLOBAL community. And for a
global community a national domain is IMHO inappropriate as it
fails to reflect this globality. I therefore am not much in
favour of a xxx.jp domain.

Another consideration is the domain name: here I am in favour of
the Japanese way of abbreviating things. We all know that Tokyo
Daigaky is abbreviated "Todai" from the first Kanji of Tokyo and
Daigaku. So why not call TLUG "ToLUG" ? This would have the nice
by effect that when read as it is would translate into "Eastern
Linux Users Group". Cute, eh ? It only has a very weak local
concept in it and would reflect a global community centered
around a region in the Far East. I think that this PERFECTLY
expresses what TLUG is....

If you go for ml.org, why not

                 tolug.ml.org ?

Well, maybe this all isn't that important....names are noise and
smoke, as we say in Germany.......

                               Greetings from Munich
                               Karl-Max Wagner
                               karlmax@example.com
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: