tlug: Netscape, Linux, Java, Plugins

Hi,
to prep up for the Tague's visit I've been playing around with
Netscape more.

Two things, 1) plugins now work under Linux, 2) I've found
a version of Communicator 4.04 PR2 that supports Java AWT1.1,

The realaudio 5.0b3 program for Linux is both a plugin and
a standalone.  This means that we'll be able to listen to
all those cool music sounds at http://www.musicnet.com
and the radio from various places around the world.  Unfortnately,
I'm getting JavaScript errors from both Communicator 4.04 and
4.04PR2.  I've changed the classpaths and have it pointing to
the right *.jar files, but it still doesn't work.  Also,
Communicator 4.04 PR2 didn't work for me with the demo
whiteboard at http://www.javaworld.com.  This is not a big
problem since it also didn't work with appletviewer from JDK 1.1.5.

I've also installed a plugin for *.wav files to hear the background
music common on many sites.  However, I've never managed  to get
my crystal 4232 (I think) sound chipset to work as 16 bit sound.
I usually set it to be 8 bit sound.  This means, that the background
music sounds really bad right now.

Also, I'm using the marumoji font and overriding the bold fonts
found at http://www.yahoo.co.jp.  This makes the site very
readable.  However, I was wondering if there is a better font
that makes the distinction between bold and fixed-width.

Regards,
Craig

---
craig@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: