Re: tlug: Anybody wanna make a TLUG Internet connection FAQ?

3Web - Jonathan wrote:

> My post looking for help for our member's connection problem got me to
> thinking that there might be a way we can do something to cure - at least a
> little bit - the problem with a lack of ISP support for Linux.

> Would anyone be interested in working on a TLUG Linux dial-up connection FAQ
> and how-to list, released under the GPL?  We could encourage all ISPs to
> post it on the help sections of their web sites.  Ideally, we could make
> this in English and Japanese, and maybe any other languages that anyone can
> translate it into.  Unfortunately, dial-up access under Linux isn't
> something I know much about yet, but I'm willing to do what I can, such as
> gather and type up the information, put it in HTML, etc.  I can post it on
> our web site, as well.  If it starts out on TLUG, Twics, and 3Web, and we
> tell other ISPs about it, perhaps it will spread.

I think that's a great idea. We also could archive sample scripts for
various providers that need only little modification and give those to
the tech support off the ISPs. Linux distributers might be interrested
as well bundling scripts that work out of the box with additional
troubleshooting for most Japanese ISPs.

I remember my ISP in Switzerland sent me a script for Linux when I
requested one from the tech support. That was a real help after the
first installation of Linux and kept me going.

> Anybody else interested?

I can contribute a script for so-net dial-in access.

urs
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: