tlug: Loading RPM packages

Hello all:

WARNING: Lame question from a total beginner!  Not for the sqeamish or
faint of heart!  Delete immediately if any discomfort is felt!

I'm down here in Kumamoto with my lonely PPC loaded with MkLinux.  I would
like to try my hand at a bit of PERL programming.  I've gone to the
Mkarchives in Miyazaki
(ftp://ftp.ccex.miyazaki-u.ac.jp/pub/mkarchive/info/index.html) and gotten
the perl-5.003-3.ppc.rpm package.

When I rpm it, the hash marks go flying by, but it doesn't seem to finish
(I don't get a prompt).  I can hit the return key and it will move to the
next line but no prompt.  I can use another xterm window or whatever with
no problem.

I've tried to install again, but I get the message "error: packages.rpm
does not appear to be a RPM package."  Is this the problem?  What do I need
to do to get past this?

I should say that I have successfully loaded other RPM's (xfmail, Mosaic,
xpaint, etc.)  These work fine.  But I have had this "packages.rpm" problem
before.

Jay

Jay Melton (mailto:jay@example.com)
Prefectural University of Kumamoto
1-100 Tsukide 3-chome
Kumamoto 862 Japan
Phone: (096) 383 2929  (O's not necessary outside of Japan)
Fax:   (096) 384 6765
Homepage: http://www.pu-kumamoto.ac.jp/~jay/jay.html

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: