Re: tlug: before we pack the bags...

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> 32MB 10ns PC DIMMs are $50-$60 in the States.. at least, I can get them
> for that.  SIMMS are a little more, actually.

Wow! I didn't know things had dropped that far. No wonder Mitsubishi
is scaling back its R&D memory projects. Are you getting special
corporate rates?

> If you have enough disk space, a sunsite mirror might be nice.

There are already quite a few in Japan. I think for our needs it might
be nice to mirror all the Japanese-Linux projects like debian, PJE
and jrpm, for starters. Other sites have them, but I don't think
any one site has them all.

> network card and plenty of ram, it should be okay.  Although an AMD K5-75
> might not be a bad choice.  Board plus chip is under $100 in the USA.

I agree here! Starting out on the low end is fiscally simpler, but it
might be insufficient in the near future.

FWIW, I'll be in the states next month. If you want me to pick up
something for the group I'd be happy to help out.

David

Hachinohe

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: