Re: tlug: TLUG Server

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Craig Oda wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, joem wrote:
>
> > I can donate a 486-DX266 plus hardware if it helps.  I haven't had time to
> > use it for anything recently.
>
> How much RAM does it have?  If it doesn't come with RAM, what is the
> number of pins and is it parity or non-parity?  We can probably
> pick up some RAM from Akihabara.  I figure that it needs around
> 32, better with 64.  Processor is a bit
> slow, but should be okay if the RAM is used for cache and the
> web site doesn't get too popular.  The FTP archive probably
> won't get more than 2 or 3 simultaneous accesses.
>
> We have to do decide things like who gets shell access, if anyone
> at all.  Also, we could probably give out e-mail and home page
> space like joem@example.com and http://www.tlug.or.jp/~joem
> Way cool!   I want craigoda@example.com
>
> If we ran the mailing list on the server, we could use
> one of the many mail to web programs to have archive the
> mailing list right there on the web.
>
> The possibilities are endless.  How about the TLUG Japanese
> to English dictionary using Jim Breene's dictionaries and
> Jeff Friedle's trans.  Exciting!

Or I could have PHT's majordomo server handle it.  It's been patched for
Japanese, it archives, it digests, etc...

I'd want a shell account, too :)

> Of course, with the technical reputation of the group at
> stake, we would have to keep that Linux server up all the
> time.  The high availability Linux server.  ;-)  :-)

Leave that to me - I guess I get to be the official TLUG sysadmin, eh?
Not the web page admin, but at least I can keep it from crashing :)

> Regards,
> Craig
>

> ------
> craig@example.com
> PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.