AW: tlug: before we pack the bags...

> Jim Schweizer wrote:
> It would be really good (for me) to continue using the Apache
> server.

Judging by what everybody else is using that's the way
to go, anyways.

> The more RAM we can get the better. 32? hmm, 64 , at least -
> with RAM prices the way they are we should free up some funds to
> buy A LOT.

A lot of RAM is always nice - but make sure that the
board's chipset can actually cache it. As to memory
consumption on WWW servers: we've been running a
multi-homed Linux server with both mSQL and Postgres
DBMS running on a 32MB P90.

> A lot of the CGI stuff on the web page could be replaced with a
> conferencing system like yap. We could host public conferences
> for general Linux discussions and private conferences for
> developers who are concentrating on a release, idea, rant, etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but do people use these? I find
the push-format of a mailing list more congenial than
the pull-style of a web bbs.

> The FTP server is a really interesting case. Yes, we definitly
> need it, but how much use is it going to get? Aren't sunsite and
> TSX-11 going to remain the main places to put new releases,
> patches, etc?

I think it would be nice to have Linux-Nihongo specific
stuff up there that's too specific for the big archives.

> The big question I have is how far we can push a 486? It'll
> serve well as a webserver or ftp server or conferencing system
> but not all of them together if it gets popular.

As long as we don't try to run a potential popular service
like a J<->E dictionary on there we should be fine. What
kind of traffic are we lookingat? Surely not more than a
few 1000s of hits, right?

Ciao,
Thomas (who just passed his final CS exam :-))
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: