RE: tlug: FAT 16 as NFS filesystem?

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Michael Chiu wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> It is good to see that you are really getting into this Linux thing...
>
> For switching files between Windows and Linux machines, I noticed that newer
> redhat installations have precompiled Samba into the distribution.  I am
> using version 5.0, and I was surprised that it worked automatically... truly
> plug and play... This is software using the M$ SMB to access Microsoft
> Network drives... therefore, your Linux Box becomes a member of your Windows
> network.  The default workgroup is "WORKGROUP", so if you change your
> Windows Network Workgroup to this name, I think you will see your Linux box
> in the "network neighborhood".  Hope this helps!

Or you can change the Linux box's workgroup in /etc/smb.conf.
TurboLinux also comes with Samba (and sets it up...)...

> Mikio

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: