tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #769

>JPNIC requires a fair amount of documentation that proves that the
> *.or.jp organization is really a non-profit organization.

Does AT&T WorldNet qualify as a non-profit organization?  They were an or.jp
for a long time until they just recently became an ne.jp, and even now you
can ping them at www.attnet.or.jp and get an answer.  Also, one of the
people over here at 3Web who works in that section tells me that JPNIC tends
to be kind of lax with .or, even giving it to individuals at least
sometimes.

Not sure how the registration procedure would to.  Usually, the ISP who is
providing the I.P address and the leased line (if it's not a virtual server)
take care of the registration with JPNIC (by JPNIC's rules).  If somebody
else gives you server space, I suppose that the registration would have to
be handled through the ISP they get their bandwidth from, but I'm not too
certain of all the ins and outs on that.

If it's doable, I really think a .jp domain name would be nice to have.  If
it's a matter of all members donating a little more to cover the cost of it,
I'm willing.  What do the rest of you think?

Jonathan

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station