AW: tlug: Fired for choosing Linux?

Hi,

Craig Oda noted:
> The issue of lack  "cover you ass"  protection for Linux is
> important.  Perhaps it might be good to get many people
> to agree to its implementation so that a person can share
> the blame if something goes wrong?

Just a question for all the professionals out there: would
your boss accept "Microsoft screwed it up" as a valid
excuse for things not working properly? In his article,
Burst seems to be inclined to surmise that M$ is bound
to fix all of your problems cheap and fast, whereas with
free software, one's out in the rain. At least in my limited
experience, things are the other way 'round :-P

[Linux in a production environment]
> Of course, make sure that it is a quality
> Linux install and not some hack job.  Once it is running and
> stable, make sure that you get another machine to hack.

That's always a wise precaution. It's also the main reason
both of our nameservers over here run Debain 1.3.1R5.
If I hadn't had to shut them down to move them to another
UPS, they'd have 4months uptime by now. That makes
them slightly more stable than our NT web servers,
which we have to reboot every other day...

Thomas
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: