Re: tlug: B5 NotePC

Hello.

Could you tell me how you changed the CPU of the TP 230cs? Could you
also tell me how much the performance increased?

I know this is totally off topic (urashima response) but I have Linux
(Debian hamm) running on a Twinhead Subnote 486slc which has a Cyrix
486slc chip(386SX pin compatible) 8MB memory. It used to have a 120MB
HDD which had Slackware on it but I have boosted it to 720MB. As a
result the HDD throughput went down from 2.5MB/s to arounc 1
MB/s. Kernel compile times are way up now to around 5 Hrs or so. :(

Why am I compiling kernels on this? Well I'm working part time at a
racing team and this happens to be the only linux machine for miles.
I wanted to print out a PS file and found that I hadn't included the
lp module.

On a different note, I'm having trouble getting the development
kernels from 2.1.75 on to run on the Cx486slc. The kernel hangs while
measuring bogomips. It seems that "jiffies" doesn't get incremented
which suggests that the timer is not working properly(I'm not really
sure about this though).  Is there anyone who knows how to get this
fixed? Has this been fixed in the newer kernels? Dumping the notebook
isn't really an option as I love the keyboard on it. It is B5 sized,
but as it has a US key layout the keys aren't as small as the ones on
the 230.

Another thing, as mule or any emacsen is just too big for 8MB I'm
trying to experiment with Jed+Japanese extensions. It seems that it
works with SKK but there is a python extension which can talk to
Canna. Does anyone have any experience with this? (Sorry I've
forgotten the web page I found this on. I haven't checked Craig's
excellent Web page yet.)

I also don't have email at the racing team so I'm afraid I wont be
able to read any replies to this message for a few weeks. (I'm
visiting a friend who works at a research institute, and have grabbed
his terminal.) Please forgive my bad manners.

Hajime

> Some more notes.  I installed Red Hat Linux 4.2 (kernel 2.0.30)
> on ThinkPad230cs (CPU replaced with AMD133MHz, HDD
> replaced with 1.4G) and it works fine.  I have Toshiba Libretto
> 30 (486/100, 1.6GB HDD), with RHL4.2 (2.0.30) installed, too.
> A friend of mine uses Libretto 70 with Debian (I don't know exact
> version number).  Libretto's are not B5 though.
>
> Ken Harada
> [kenhrd@example.com]
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: