Re: tlug: graphic chipset

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Domenico Carlucci wrote:

> I bought a laptop Canon 5500GX with neomagic chipset (NMG4) and I've
> been told that Linux doesn't not support such chipset.

XFree86 doesn't have a "proper" driver for this chipset, because NeoMagic
refuses to release programming information for their chips.

You can run the VGA16 server and have 640x480x16, though.

> Anyway, I heart that I can buy some software to make it work at
> http://www.xig.com (which doesn't not answer, by the way!)...

AccelX does indeed support the NeoMagic (they signed a NDA with NeoMagic,
and xig doesn't release source code).  It's pricey, however, and they're
sort of hit-and-miss on support.

*sigh* Would anyone like to give me an image of the NeoMagic BIOS?  I'll
try to RE the more useful BIOS modes and hack up a driver for XFree86.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: