Re: tlug: PJE questions

> - The HOWTO pages says that we should use "ezinst" to install the RPM
>   packages. But where do I find ezinst? And KON? I also couldn't find
>   the script jeinst.sh  in any of the packages that I downloaded from
>   web site...

The jeinst.sh is in the top folder of the distribution.  If you are
using redhat, then it will be in the folder called rpms.  (The
top folder called rpms).   Both Kon and ezinst will be installed by
jeinst.sh.

> - The strangest thing is at the "package management" part for RedHat,
>   where the HOWTO page recommends using Glint or RPM to add or delete
>   packages. Strange. So if I can add or delete packages using that, then
>   why do I still need to use ezinst in the first place?

You are right, you do not have to use ezinst.  But it if you do use
it, it will not let you install rpms without making sure you install
any other rpms which are needed for a particular package to work.
That is ezinst knows about the dependences and makes the package
selection easier.  Having said that, I have to say that I feel PJE was
designed with slackware in mind and redhat was a second thought.  It
does not work well with redhat.  I have always had to finally revert
to using rpm or glint to install some packages that just would
not install using ezinst.  That is I would get a core dump.

> - Since I'm using RedHat 5, which has the new glibc libraries and stuff,
>   and PJE (apparently) uses the old libc libraries. By installing the
>   packages, would I cripple my original RedHat 5 configurations? At
>   section 2.2 it said that it will replace ld.so and other files, but I
>   assumed that it's RH4 that they are talking about, right? I'm just a
>   little worried about these packages replacing the current files with
>   really old versions because previously I have tried to install Chinese
>   support and it replaced a lot of files in the /usr/bin directory with
>   binaries dated 1993!!

You are right.  I do not think that you can using PJE with Redhat 5.0.
It was setup with 4.2 in mind.  I do not recommend trying to use PJE
with Redhat 5.0.

> - Which one is better? Wnn4 or Wnn6? What's the difference?

Wnn6 is better.  It is the commercial version of Wnn4.  Wnn6 is
smarter when converting to Kanji.

> - Which one is better? Wnn or Canna? (Sorry, I'm sure this is almost the
>   vi-vs-emacs-holy-war analogy but I really hoped to get a little feel
>   on both of them before choosing to install one of them) It won't
>   work if I get both engines running, would it?

I use Canna mostly.  I've used Wnn before and I don't notice a big
difference.  I use canna because there is a japanese pine which was
set-up to use canna and I use pine.  I suppose you can make pine to
run with wnn as well, but it was easier to just go with what was
available.

> - At section 6, it said something like "If you're using client software
>   after XFree3.1.2 you'll need to save JX11..." or something like that?
>   What exactly does it mean? The whole doc is in Japanese and I've
>   almost stretched myself to the utmost limit of my grasp of the
>   language to understand the whole doc :)

I am not sure what part you are talking about, but JX11 is simple a
designation in ezinst that indicates that you would like to install
X programs.  When you first start ezinst, you will not be able to
select any X programs to install.  If you click on the JX11 option,
then they will become available and at a minimum things like at least
once X window kanji font is installed, etc.

Check out:

http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/PJE-HOWTO-E

It is my English translation of PJE-HOWTO.

> Thank you very much!!
>
> p/s: Oh, just a side question : Is it easy to find a CS-related job in
>      Japan nowadays?? (I'm not Japanese, and can understand only basic
>      Japanese). And if I do apply for one, should I send in a Japanese
>      resume or English?
>

> Thanks ! :)
>
> regards,
> Chiew
> Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
> Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

Robert Bickel, Lecturer
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103
FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615