Re: tlug: A Japanese using Linux in the U.S. needs help.

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Masato Uesu wrote:

> I've just started using linux here in the U.S. and I'd really like it if I
> could use Japanese on my box. I know I can read in Japanese, but I'd like
> to be able to type in it also.
>
> I know there are lots and lots of online documents out there. And I have
> read quite a few of them. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out
> there with similer situation like myself successfully installed necessary
> components and satisfied with it.

The Japanese input methods Wnn and Canna seem to be favorably
comparable to what you would find on a Mac Kanji Talk or Windows.
I guess the components would depend on what wanted to use
Linux for.  Mail and news seem to be adequately supported.
Text processing is possible with LaTeX, however, it is not
what you would find in a Microsoft Office pack.   Though,
if you learn LaTeX, the Japanese can come out very nicely.
I've never tried LyX with Japanese.   I think there is a
commercial Japanese word processor in Turbo Linux Pro.

If you're using spreadsheets, I've never tried the Japanese.

> Thinking about getting StarOffice 4 too. And wondering if I can use it
> with Japanese fonts too..

I don't think you can use it with Japanese.

Your level of satisfaction will depend on what you are using
Linux for.  If you want a very stable, powerful platform,
then you'll probably be happy with the Japanese support.
If you don't want to get involved in the technology and just
want to run an OS to print Japanese letters, reports, and
produce budgets, there are other alternatives.

Here is my opinion:
e-mail - very good and easy
news   - very good and easy
Japanese input  - good, but you have to install the kanji servers,
	moderately easy install
fixed width text report - if you are satisfied with a single Japanese
		font, printing and creation are easy
Japanese home page html - no problem.  It is _not_ WYSIWYG.
multi-font word-pro type stuff - if you like LaTeX, no problem.
		if not, things get difficult.
financial spreadsheets - not sure if a Japanese version exists
database - SQL databases are plentiful and powerful.  However,
		you must program SQL in order to use it.
		Japanese is fine.

In all honesty, I would say that Linux is a bit weak in the
Japanese office suite applications.  However, it is far more
stable than either Windows95J or KanjiTalk.  It is also more
stable than NT4.0J.  However, NT4.0J is probably stable enough
for most uses.  The negative part about NT4.0J is that
with Office '97 installed, it is a resource hog and will
really suck with 32 megs of RAM installed.  With 64 megs
and a fairly fast Pentium, it is okay.

The big questions are: What are your needs?  How critical
is stability?  Do you need a WYSIWYG Japanese word-pro?

Of course, if you've already use Linux, you might as well
install the Japanese components.  It's a heck of a lot
of fun and really quite robust.   It's also free.

-- Craig

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: