Re: tlug: A Japanese using Linux in the U.S. needs help.

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Masato Uesu wrote:

> I've just started using linux here in the U.S. and I'd really like it if I
> could use Japanese on my box. I know I can read in Japanese, but I'd like
> to be able to type in it also.

Of course you can.  Basically you will need 4 things:

A Kanji-Kana dictionary (Canna or Wnn)
A Input Method (Kinput)
Fonts
Software that can handle Japanese (Kterm, mule, Japanized Netscape, etc)

To get all these things, you can install a set of programs from
one of about 3 Japanese packages available.  If you have debian
you can install debian-jp, if you have Redhat you can install
JRPM or PJE, if you have slackware you can install PJE.

For PJE you can read about how to install it at:

http://www.pje.linux.or.jp (In Japanese)
or if you prefer English instructions you can look at:
http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/PJE-HOWTO-E (English)

For Debian-JP you can check out:

http://www.debian.linux.or.jp (Japanese)

I don't know if there are any instructions in English for Debian-JP.

For JRPM you are on your own.  I don't readily know where their
home page is, but I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find.

For PJE at least it may take about 30 minutes to an hour to set
it up.  If you do use PJE, I will be happy to help you with any
problems you have.  I don't yet have experience with either Debian-JP
or JRPM.

> I know there are lots and lots of online documents out there. And I have
> read quite a few of them. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out
> there with similer situation like myself successfully installed necessary
> components and satisfied with it.

I am very satisfied with PJE.  During installation sometimes problems
come up, but once you get everything in right, it works great.

Finally, a Japanesized Netscape is not included in the packages,
so you will have to do that yourself.  You can find out how at:

http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~egota/NetscapeV.html

It is pretty simple really.

> Thinking about getting StarOffice 4 too. And wondering if I can use it
> with Japanese fonts too..

I don't know, but my feeling is that if you can it will take some
work on your part.

Rob

Robert Bickel, Lecturer
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103
FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615
Cellular:  +81-30-691-7580
e-mail: robbickel@example.com
http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/robw.html

In Japanese
東京農纔瘢韭絎竢踪大学、講師
〒184東京都小金井市中町2ー14ー16
電話:        0423-88-7103
ファックス:  0423-85-7204
自宅電話:    0422-42-5615
携帯電話 :    030-691-7580

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.