Re: tlug: Hello...

Rob Bickel wrote,

> > Can anyone recommend stores and/or laptop
> > brands which are supported by Linux?
>
> One thing to watch out for is that it seems a lot of laptops use a
> Neomagic video card.  This video card is
> not supported by Xfree86, so I make sure you do not get a laptop with this
> video card.

Actually, that is not the whole truth.  I personally use a
Dell Lattitude LM, which uses the Neomagic chip, *and* I run
Linux *and* I am very satisfied with speed and quality of
the graphics.  The only drawback is that you have to *buy*
the X-server from Xi, called `Accelerated X'.  The plus is
that this server is, as far as I know, considerably faster
than the XFree86 server.  (It is really only the server that
you need to buy and which is installed on top of a standard
XFree86 installation.)  But it is not really cheap.  For
more info, see

  http://www.xinside.com/

Happy shopping,

Manuel
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: