Re: tlug: glibc 2.0.7-pre1 (fwd)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Why should we care?  What does 2.1 have that 2.0 doesn't?

Tactically?  2.1 supports symbol versioning, _real_ ipv6, some stubs for
RT ... I guess from a user perspective it isn't that big of a deal.

Strategically?  2.1 breaks quite a bit of binary compatibility with 2.0
(unfortunately).  The sooner that 2.1 is released, the better.  Less of an
entrenched user base with which to break compatibility.

> Sparc/Linux support, maybe?  That _would_ grab me.

*laugh* sun4m compatibility is there already.  sun4c compatibility ...
well, I fear that's never going to happen.  (I'm partially to blame, I
guess -- I've mapped out where the dynamic loader fails with a sun4c, but
I haven't pursued it as my sun4c _must_ be a production machine.)

> I Am Curious Yellow....

George?

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: