Re: tlug: Re TLUG CDRom

>>>>> "joe" == joem  <joem@example.com> writes:

    joe> I can write the CD's while I'm working during the day, so
    joe> the time involved in the production is not a big issue.  The
    joe> biggest challenge will be in deciding what we should/can fit
    joe> into 640Mb of disk space.

    joe> I'd personally like to get the TLUG archives onto a CD, so
    joe> that I have a complete set and I can take the copies off of
    joe> my hard disk.  Also, archives from the Debian and RedHat
    joe> mailing lists would be good.  Alberto mentioned RedHat
    joe> versions, PJE and jrpm.  Having the latest version of GIMP
    joe> and XCDRoast might be good.  Suggestions?

I think Emacs 20.2 deserves a place.

This morning, I finally got around to upgrading from 20.1 and for the
first time since Handa-san started Mule five years ago, I feel like
here is a version that I can recommend w/o tons of caveats. The info
documentation is not bad now.  The great Emacs can now create
files/web pages in many encodings without ever leaving a US Linux
OS. (Most painful remaining weakness is its inability to dump
non-plain-ASCII and multi-script files to GS or a PS printer.)

Well, I'm assuming the major Linux distributions still are not
including Emacs 20.2. We mirror Debian here and I know it hasn't yet.
If it's included in RedHat or S.u.S.E or Slackware, then it's probably
not necessary to include it in the TLUG CD. Anyone know if this is the case?

But the 18MB intlfonts-1.0.tar file for a set of international fonts
might be handy. (Latest Emacs, leim, and the big font file, are all to
be got at the usual place, ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu.)

Jon

Jon Babcock
jon@example.com

PS.

Craig encouraged really stupid questions, so here's one: How do you
print the Emacs info documentation nicely to a PS printer. (Mine is a
LJ4000.) And btw, Craig, thanks for that TLUG Members Guide. Very
thoughtful!

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: