Re: tlug: SCSI Configuration

Hi Joe,

joem <joem@example.com> wrote:
> > I got SCSI hard error "write failure" on a device ID #0 #1 and #8, but
> > no error is found on those drives when I run the monitor program
> > (SCSISelect) on BIOS of SCSI board.
>
> This sounds a lot like too many terminators.
>
> I also use the IBM DCAS-34330W drives, and found that they come with
> termination jumpers installed on each disk. You may want to check
> each disk to make sure that the jumper has been taken off each drive.  I
> don't know about the AHA-2940UW, but most SCSI cards also come with
> termination "on" as a default.

Thank you very much for the info.

This problem has been occured since drive #8 is moved from #1 and
added #1.  I know there is jumper for terminator on DCAS-34330W, and I
am sure I removed jumpers for that.  So I expected to hear that there
were a special tip for using narrow and wide drives together with
AHA-2940UW.

I think I set terminator configuration on AHA-2940UW to "automatic".
According to your idea, AHA-2940UW may misrecognize devices and might
set terminator "on" instead of correct status "off", if all the drives
have been set correct.  So, I may have to turn off the terminator on
AHA-2940UW manually.

Does anybody know tips of more than 8 drives in such a sutiation as
this?  Thanks in advance.

Smack
--
Masanori -Smack- OMOTE