Re: tlug: Sound

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Rob Bickel wrote:

> I have a Red Hat 4.2 system.  I installed sound support in the kernel
> and by copying files to /dev/dsp or /dev/audio, I can hear the files.
> That is cat message.au > /dev/audio will result in my hearing the
> file message.au, etc.
>
> Also, I can using the saytime program and I can hear it say the time.
> But so far, that is the only sound program I have got to work for me.
> I have a Slackware system also and it plays things like Real Audio
> and a program called Xanimation which I can play a .avi file and hear
> sound.  Nether of which I can do on the Red Hat system.  I looked
> at /dev/sndstat and get the following:

[snip]

Have you looked at your .mailcap and .mime** files? I ran these things
on RH 4.2 before and they worked just fine. Also, if you're accessing
these from Netscape, make sure that it's correctly calling the app and
the file.

I'm at home so it's hard to look this up at the moment, but if you are
still stuck next week let me know and I'll see what else I can find.

HTH

David
Hachinohe, Japan

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: