tlug: SCSI Configuration

Hi Smack,

  68pin int. flat cable                   50pin int. flat cable
                         *----------*
 ||-- #8 -- #1 -- #0 ----|AHA-2940UW|---- #2 -- #3 -- #5 -- #4 -- #6 --||
 ^^                      *----------*                                  ^^
 terminator                                                    terminator

               External SCSI port is not used.

> I got SCSI hard error "write failure" on a device ID #0 #1 and #8, but
> no error is found on those drives when I run the monitor program
> (SCSISelect) on BIOS of SCSI board.

This sounds a lot like too many terminators.

I also use the IBM DCAS-34330W drives, and found that they come with
termination jumpers installed on each disk. You may want to check
each disk to make sure that the jumper has been taken off each drive.  I
don't know about the AHA-2940UW, but most SCSI cards also come with
termination "on" as a default.

-Joe

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: