Re: tlug: Red Hat 5.0 tetex and jlatex?

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Marcus> japanese documents.  (I also haven't tried to send e-mail
>     Marcus> with japanese characters, so the following example might
>     Marcus> not come over as expected)
>
> I don't know how to make that come out "as expected."  It was in
> EUC-JP, I assume (I think that's what CJK expects), and my mailer
> refused to display it (with no MIME headers it assumed ISO-8859-1).

  It is EUC (according to jconv), but came through fine in Pine 3.96,
even though it mostly gets so-called New-JIS.  FWIW.

  While we're talking TeX, does anyone know what I can do to get 'dvips'
working.  I've installed the pLaTeX2e from Okamura's recent book on
the subject (Gijutsuhyouronsha) and the 'dvipsk' from Eguchi's "Ghostscript:
Another Manual" (Softbank).  The platex works fine, but when I try to
'dvips' it into Postscript, I get these error messages:

  This is dvipsk 5.58f J1.0 p1.2 Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
' TeX output 1997.12.18:1348' -> |lpr
kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK cmr10 600 600 1+0/600 ljfour
/usr/local/bin/MakeTeXPK: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1+0/600; scrollmode; in
put cmr10
This is METAFONT, Version 2.718 (Web2c 7.0)
I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
/usr/local/bin/MakeTeXPK: Metafont failed to make cmr10.600gf.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font cmr10 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file cmr10.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: ! I can't find cmr10.tfm; please reinstall me with proper paths

  I've played around a bit trying to get things into the places where they
will be found, but without much luck so far.  It seems that there are
different expectations involved in the platex installation and the dvipsk
installation.  Any solutions or pointers to a better integrated environment
would be much appreciated.

  Cheers,

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: