tlug: Japanese input via console

    Totoro> I was reading up on Xemacs yesterday (scary things can be
    Totoro> found in the docs, no?), and noticed that it runs fine on
    Totoro> the console. Voila, yes, Xemacs without X! However, since
    Totoro> kinput requires X, what input system is available for the
    Totoro> console users? I haven't seen anything in that area.

I don't know if the 20.3 package is compiled with or without Mule;
somebody else put that together.  If "with", it probably supports
Canna and Wnn and XIM (kinput) simultaneously.

Any Mule-enabled XEmacs should run SKK (since it's completely
implemented in LISP, dictionaries and all); look in any XEmacs mirror
(I think ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp is usually up-to-date, or go to the source,
ftp.xemacs.org) in xemacs-20.3/aux/skk-8.6x.tar.gz.  There are more
recent versions of SKK, but you'd have to get them directly (I think
KDD mirrors this too, or you can dig into
beta/xemacs-20.5/packages/source-packages/skk-*; this is likely to
take more effort) and maybe do some fiddling to get them to work with
xemacs (I'm not sure how much fiddling is required for the package
distributed with XEmacs 20.3).

If Canna or Wnn support is compiled in, you can use those directly
without kinput2.

I've not had success (but I haven't tried hard, I don't think it's
impossible) getting Japanese display on kon from XEmacs; what
terminal type etc do you use?

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: