Re: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was just playing around with my Slackware box (am I the _only_
> TLUGer using Slackware anymore?), messing with this and that,
> and I decided to try booting directly to X.
>
> So, I changed /etc/inittab thus:
>
> # Default runlevel.
> # id:5:initdefault:
> id:4:initdefault:
>
> and yep, it boots right to an X login. Funny thing is, though, it
> doesn't read ~USER/.xinitrc anymore.

That's right.  It now uses a file called .xsession.  There is a
default .xsession somewhere on your system that is being used.
What you can do is copy your .xinitrc to .xsession and logout
and log back in.  You will see that everything is just as before.
As far as I know .xinitrc and .xsession are equivalent only
that one is used if you type startx at a terminal and the
other is used when you log in through the X window log-in.

Rob

P.S. I was using Slackware as my main system until about 2 months
ago.

Robert Bickel, Lecturer
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103
FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615
Cellular:  +81-30-691-7580
e-mail: bickel@example.com
http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/robw.html

In Japanese
東京農纔瘢韭絎竢踪大学、講師
〒184東京都小金井市中町2ー14ー16
電話:        0423-88-7103
ファックス:  0423-85-7204
自宅電話:    0422-42-5615
携帯電話 :    030-691-7580

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.