tlug: Lilo success

Hi, I've had some success with lilo 0.20 configuration
on Red Hat 5.0 with boot options for Debian and Windows.

The solution was relatively simple and it is one of those
things that I should have figured out immediately.

In summary:
  1) Linux kernel can be on a different physical disk
     than the root file system.  (Of course ne!)
  2) lilo 0.20 that comes with Red Hat 5.0 has a different
     configuration for the chain loader than the lilo 0.18
     that comes with Debian Hamm.

With all the linux kernels on hda, I can mount different Linux
root filesystems, giving me a Debian system, a Red Hat
system or a test system at boot time.  I can also place
each of the root filesystems on a seperate physical disk to
reduce the risk of trashing a stable "work" filesystem.

The trick to boot the Windows on hdb was that in lilo 0.20 they
seem to have done away with the any_d.b loader that specifies
swapping hard disk 1 and hard disk 2.  The way to do it now
seems to be to use
  loader=/boot/chain.b

and then to remap the drives with

        map-drive = 0x80
                to = 0x81
        map-drive = 0x81
                to = 0x80
        label=windows95

Note: 0x80 refers to your first hard disk.  0x81 refers
to your second hard disk.

The option to boot Debian is

image=/boot/linux2.0.33
        label=debian2.0.33
        root=/dev/sda7
        read-only

The lilo.conf is on hda.  The filesystem it mounts as root
is /dev/sda7.  The kernel for sda7 is on hda.  That is the
trick, you boot all the kernels from the first hard disk, but
mount whatever filesystems you want.

Regards,
Craig

---
craig@example.com
PGP public key: http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: