tlug: Lilo ; LJ

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Totoro wrote:

riley>Well, it's a release, but not without caveats. However, they've
riley>been pretty good about addressing problems and making fixes for
riley>them quickly. Some things require workarounds to compile (suck
riley>just won't do it at all right now...). My original plan was to
riley>use it until Debian 2 came out, but that looks rather distant
riley>at the moment. But now I've got it running fairly smoothly.

David,
thanks for you advice on this.  I did an install of Red Hat
5.0 on a 500 meg partition of a hard disk that I cleared.

I'm battling with the Bios of my Intel based machine to try
and get more than 2 physical disks bootable.  Here is
what I have.

   800 Meg Quantum IDE disk -   Red Hat 5.0
       (I want to make bootable from Lilo)

   350 Meg IDE Disk  - Windows '95
       (I want to make this bootable by default, so the
        wife doesn't have to mess around with Lilo)

   180 Meg IDE Disk - Debian Hamm bootable stuff only
       (this is bootable for historical reasons)

   4 GIG SCSI - Debian Hamm non-bootable

There are various little problems with the hardware.  I
can probably move the 180 Meg IDE to either a partition
on the Quantum (shared with Red Hat) or on the SCSI.

My big problem is that I'm not that familar with Lilo.
If I make the Quantum hda and have it be the main bootable
with Red Hat on hda, can I configure Lilo to call sda to
boot Debian?  If so, can I also get it to call hdb, and
call Windows?

In summary,

  1) I have three physical disks that I want to make
     bootable, but my bios only allows 2 physical disks
     to be bootable

  2) I would like to chain together two lilo loaders so that
     that lilo on hda calls the lilo on hdc or sda, from
     there I should be able to call the Windows disk on sdb.
     I've heard this is possible, but can't figure out how to
     do it.  Any example /etc/lilo.conf files?

  3) If I can't chain the two lilos together, I'm going to
     install minimal Debian and Red Hat systems on hda and
     symbolically link the rest of the filesystem to my SCSI.
     Does someone have a lilo.conf file showing the selection
     of two different Linux distributions on the same physical
     disk.

  4) I've never used my SCSI as the bootable disk before.  This is
     pretty lame since it is an Ultra-Wide and by far the fastest
     disk.   Can I make sda the default bootable disk and call
     hda, hdb from the SCSI, sda disk with lilo?  Again, any
     hints with lilo.conf would be really helpful.

riley>Just out of curiosity, you mentioned awhile back that TLUG members
riley>could get discounts from LJ and maybe some vendors. How do we go
riley>about taking advantage of such discounts?

SSC (Linux Journal) and WSG give discounts to GLUE members.
Maybe a mention by e-mail that you are a GLUE member might
do it.  I'll send them an e-mail and see if there are proper
procedures.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: