tlug: DOSEMU....

>>>>> "Karl-Max" == Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> writes:

    Karl-Max> A word of caution, though: If you run a notebook on
    Karl-Max> batteries, don't forget that DOS sends the processor
    Karl-Max> into idle loops when nothing else has to be done. Thus
    Karl-Max> the processor always draws full power. In order to
    Karl-Max> provide a good emulation, DOSEMU has to imitate this
    Karl-Max> behaviour rather fine grainedly. Thus, if you start
    Karl-Max> DOSEMU, you'll find that it hogs all available processor
    Karl-Max> power and thus prevents Linux from doing its usual very
    Karl-Max> good power management.

There used to be a program called something or other ("neuter the pig"
is the semantic import but it was much less drastic, "tamedos" doesn't
sound quite right) that drastically reduced the load average on
Linux.  That was about DOSemu 60.x, and the functionality may be
configurable from the config file nowadays.  I don't know whether this
would help with the processor power management, though, and it took
some playing around with as many DOS apps' performance suffer
drastically at some critical value which varies from app to app, box
to box, and Linux kernel to kernel.

Karl-Max is absolutely right about having DOSemu around, though; I
haven't used it in years (however, that took a fair amount of
discipline and the good fortune to have noone but myself to kibitz
software choice as long as I stay in budget), but I used it daily when
I first installed it.  And it was a couple of years before I weaned
myself.

Steve

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: