Re: tlug: CD-R, system advice

In message <199801052217.RAA18258@example.com> you wrote:
> 1. What would you suggest for a CD ROM burner?

A list of CD-R writers supported by x-cdroast is at

http://www.fh-muenchen.de/home/ze/rz/services/projects/xcdroast/e_0.96c-cdwriters.html

The Yamaha writers seem to be a good option. AVOID the Panasonic/Matsushita.
I have this Panasonic CW-7501 but it has no support for Linux, it only works
under Win95

> 2. Is this SCSI II controller a good choice?  How about the hard disk?  Do I
> have to worry about these being compatible with the CD ROM burner?

The Mylex/Buslogic are the best SCSI controllers for use undex Linux (more
details at http://www.tdl.com/~netex/controllers/controllers.html). I have
an ASUS SC-200 (it uses the same NCR 53C810 chip), and it doesn't seem to be
much faster than a busmaster IDE.

A co-worker sitting behind me is saying he recommends an IBM DCAS over the
Quantum, for better price/performance.

> 3. Can I do better than to get a Pentium chip?  I'm aware that the motherboar
> only supports 64 MB of RAM, but I don't know of a good alternative at the
> moment.

There are also motherboards based on the SiS and the Via Appolo (that has AGP
support for the socket 7), but I don't know how well (or bad) they are
compared to Intel chipsets.

---
Alberto Tomita, Jr.            http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto
Yokohama National University       e-mail: alberto@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.