tlug: CD-R, system advice

Hi, I'm about to order a Linux system and wanted to run it by you guys first.

I'm working on a dictionary and would like to be able to put it on CD ROM
(text, sound and images), so I will get a CD ROM burner (the write-once kind).
So I need to get something that is compatible with that.  I seem to remember
someone talking about CD ROM burners here lately.

Actually, I am going to buy two systems, the first for the dictionary stuff
and the second for myself.  The second one definitely needs to support
Japanese, but not burning CD ROMs.

Here is what I have in mind for the first system.  The second will be similar,
although I may get a Cyrix or AMD CPU instead.

Pentium P166
ASUS TX97-X Intel 430TX chipset, ATX
512k pipelined burst mode cache, 6ns
Two built-in high speed serial ports and an enhanced parallel port
64mb SDRAM 10ns
NCR 53C810/815 fast SCSI II controller, 32bit busmaster PCI
One Quantum 4.3gb UltraSCSI drive, 5400RPM, 10ms
Toshiba 12X SCSI-2 CDROM drive
Matrox Millennium II 4mb WRAM 250Mhz
Teac 1.44mb floppy drive
Mid-tower case, w/ 250w UL listed PS, 7 drive bays
Logitech Trackman Marble, PS/2

Specific questions:

1. What would you suggest for a CD ROM burner?

2. Is this SCSI II controller a good choice?  How about the hard disk?  Do I
have to worry about these being compatible with the CD ROM burner?

3. Can I do better than to get a Pentium chip?  I'm aware that the motherboard
only supports 64 MB of RAM, but I don't know of a good alternative at the
moment.

I will be running Debian Linux, and the first system will be a dual-boot with
Windows NT (not my decision; I won't be using NT).

Thanks for any input.
Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: