tlug: Sparc/Linux X11R6.3 libX11

In my never-ending quest to get XEmacs to build on the Sparc somehow,
somewhen, I built X11R6.3 except for the Xsun server.  Also some
completely untested auxiliary programs like xrx (Netscrap plugin),
xnest (an X server in an X window), and LBX ("low bandwidth" proxy and
client library).  The libraries themselves are _very_ lightly tested
as yet.

Anybody interested in source patches, let me know.  They're actually
pretty trivial.  I am really leery of distributing binaries because I
don't know what is needed (I guess I could set ProjectRoot to an
unpopulated directory, install there, and then just tar that up; I
might do that if somebody asks very nicely), and I don't know what they
might break.  The build took roughly 30 hours on a Sparc ELC with 40
MB RAM, a Quantum fireball SCSI disk, and pretty much nothing but the
build, an X server, and `tail -f World.log' running.

I have reorganized the links so that by doing `rm /usr/X11R6; ln -s
X11R6.x /usr/X11R6' I can switch back and forth between the libraries
with an ldconfig (actually, I reboot for safety).  Anyway, I think I
have ... I should probably do a `find -name '*X11*'' to make more or
less sure.

I do not yet know if the new libs fix the enormous amounts of hosery
in the X free storage management and in XIM (the latter is rumored to
be related to the former).

I probably will not try to integrate the Sun/Linux xserver patches
from X11R6.1; that looks like it could take a fair amount of time.  If
somebody else wants to do the work, I'll be happy to test and go along
for the ride, though.

Steve

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: