RE: tlug: X Windows client

>Actually, the slant I had in mind was that these are very specialized
>uses and concentrated on a single area, so it's not much evidence for
>broad coverage by Linux of typical users' concerns.  Most people who
>use it think Mathematica is fun, but I doubt that anybody would
>consider it evidence of mass-market appeal.

ahh... I C... this is true... man... I gotta learn how to code better so I
can find a use for these things... :D  shoulda stuck with programming in
college... oh well.. I wanted to be a businessman instead... *sigh*  life is
full of regrets, ain't it?

>No, you're confusing my statement with its (fuzzy) converse: that
>Linux and Unix users are generally relatively sophisticated (because
>the environment is not so friendly).  I have nothing but respect for

ahh... sophisticated = user-friendliness then?  You're probably right
though... most sysadmins I know of started off with a UNIX environment and
went on to the NT environment (for those that are using NT that is)... but I
somewhat disagree with your definition of sophisticated... to me, a person
is sophisticated, in the sense of computers, when they can skip from one
platform to the next... I often get confused going back and forth between
the DOS prompt and the LINUX prompt since I tend to forget which environment
I am working in... sometimes I press "ls" where I should have press "dir"
for example... but to me, NT is like an "improvement" (term used very
lightly) of UNIX... what I mean is that it is an "easier" to operate than
UNIX  NOS... therefore, I am assuming that the sysadmin has paid his dues
going through UNIX, and understands the concepts and can work with X or NT
rather than starting from either platform... to me... that is a
sophisticated user...

>Consider the converse:  would mentioning Windows in an ad directed to
>Linux users _scare_ them away?  I doubt it....

Probably not... but from the responses that are on this thread... apparently
it does...

Mikio

TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: