Re: tlug: Seeking advice on ZIP drives & such w/ Linux

%
% * I gather that Iomega ZIP and JAZ drives are supported under Linux. Do
% you know of similar products that specifically are or are not supported?
% Are there any setup problems associated with particular models? Any info
% about comparative quality?
%

Matt,

   I'm using a Syquest 130MB (SCSI) with no problems. The system
   recognizes it as just another hard drive... but one with removable
   media.

   The Syquest is a SCSI-2 device and is fast enough to use for swap.
   Cartridges for the 130MB model seem to be fairly rare in Japan,
   but most branches of Laox carry them (about Y2900 each). I also use
   cartridges for kernel source and for on-line filesystem dump images
   (I dump a filesystem, pipe it through gzip and store it as a single
   file).

   I've had mine for about a year and, despite massive scepticism on
   my part (I've spent entirely too much of my adult life replacing
   heads on crashed, removable pack drives to be completely comfortable
   with removable media), it has been completely reliable, so far.

   Syquest's 1GB model is worth looking at nowadays.

			-John-

TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: