Re: tlug: Re: December 13th

    Krister> Craig Oda writes:
    >> Jim Tittsler showed me yet another UNIX command-line trick that
    >> I didn't know (make zImage &&make modules &&make
    >> modules_include).  Joe and I were still using make zImage ;
    >> make modules ; make  modules_include.

`modules_install', maybe?  Anyway, that's a baaad thing to do.  I
hosed myself royally that way once.  Something screwed up in the
zImage target, so I didn't do a LILO.  But the module versions were
configured in the current kernel and not in the new one, so when the
modules got overwrote....

Don't ever do anything that might make an install target until the
build is working.

    Krister> So what's wrong with the good old 'make zImage modules
    Krister> modules_include'?

This should do the same, I guess.  I usually redirect the output from
the zImage build and the modules build into separate logs, though, and
don't redirect the install output at all.  Can't do that with a
multiple-target make command AFAIK; I suppose you could build the
Makefile to do that.

It also will screw you up if you like to live dangerously and do `make
-k' (I suspect this can hurt you when building the kernel, but it's
often a big time saver when beta testing stuff like Ghostscript and
XEmacs, and doesn't hurt in those cases.)
TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: