RE: tlug: X Windows client

Trying not to start an OS war, you guys all make very good points, and I
already know the merits of Linux vs. M$ Windows, but since I am more of a
businessman, rather than a developer, I guess I look at the world a bit
differently... of course, my company uses Linux for mail/web server, but
that was only b/c my boss and I are very strong proponets of it... the
company basically wants to use some other high priced solution such as Sun,
WinNT, or Lotus... I don't necessarily agree with them... you all make good
arguments with alternatives, but you must understand that since I work in
more of a business environment, through my eyes, the trend is definitely
going towards M$... there's not only the OS, but other features as well...
for example, I cannot send a document to any of my customers unless it's in
some sort of M$ format such as Word, Excel, etc... If I were an engineer,
maybe things would be different, but since I am not, M$ Office seems to be
the trend...

PDF is fine, but if the other side needs to edit, then I am still stuck with
converting it to M$ Office or retyping it in to M$ Office b/c most of my
customers only have the Acrobat Reader, and not the whole application...
whereas they have a copy of M$ Office somewhere... I have never gone wrong
before by sending a M$ Office document to anyone before... maybe they
translate it into something else before editing and returning to me, but at
least the M$ Office seems to be fine for them...

For the server side, I can see how businesses may be moving away from M$,
however, for the general computing side, I still only see it as two sides...
Windows or MAC... maybe it may change in a few years, but for the time
being, I can only see these two sides...

But back to the main point of this whole thread... I was merely looking for
a way to run X on my Win95 machine... it's not so much that I desire to
completely use Win95, however, with one monitor, it's a hassle to have to
use the monitor switch, as well as the keyboard/mouse switch, when I can do
it all w/o needing to have both... this is the main reason I am looking for
an emulator... I got Samba up and running, I can telnet into the other
machine, etc... I'm just looking for some conveinence...

But I thank everyone for their help with me on this... I will evaluate
several options which were passed on this way and see what happens...

Thanks again for everyone's help and support]

Mikio

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: