PDF [was RE: tlug: X Windows client]

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Michael Chiu wrote:

mchiu>>    Michael> but I think the trend is moving more towards M$ Windows
mchiu>if I want to send a word processing document file to someone in general, I
mchiu>normally will not send to them a Linux or UNIX format of the file... ex.  I
mchiu>want to send my friend a file of a document I just created... I could send
mchiu>it in PS, but since I know my friend is using M$ Word, I will send him a M$

Use Alladin GhostScript to convert ps to PDF (Portable Document Format),
they can then use Adobe Acrobat on MS Windows 95/NT or Apple Macintosh
to open it up.  There are also versions of Adobe Acrobat for other
major platforms such as Linux.  If your UNIX does not have Adobe Acrobat,
you can use XPDF or gs.

Adobe Acrobat is in wide use on Macintosh and Windows platforms
and I've found that most people that can use e-mail can get
the Acrobat reader.  The newer versions can also do searching.
Japanese versions are available.  Pictures and fonts are
awesome..  I use the times package of LaTeX to use PostScript
fonts.

I always get praise from Mac and Windows people on the quality
of the documents I send them.  Nothing is lost in cross
platform translation.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: