tlug: Re: AOL (IM) for Linux

On Fri, Dec 12, 1997 at 02:10:34PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I doubt that AOL will be releasing a Linux version of their user
> interface any time soon, nor will Nifty$erve.  But WHO CARES ?!??  :-)

Interesting that you mention them, because while they haven't released
their complete user interface, they are distributing their "AOL Instant
Messenger" (AIM) in a variety of forms including Java (complete with Linux
installation instructions).

AIM is very similar to ICQ.  It is a small application that can tell
you when your friends are connected to their providers (and have started
AIM) and provides a quick way to exchange text "chat" messages with them.
Sort of an amalgamation of finger and talk, ala IRC.

AIM is free, but carries with it a small advertising billboard.  Careful
window placement is advised.  :-)

http://www.aol.com/aim/home.html

Jim  (aka Jim7J1AJH on AIM)
--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   7j1ajh@example.com
Tokyo PC Users Group  http://www.tpc.ml.org/

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: