Re: tlug: OOPS!

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Alan B. Stone wrote:

stoneab>Oops.  shouldn't read "root".  I think I have it fix now.  Although I
stoneab>still can't pop for mail.

Blain,
I think Pine only supports IMAP and SMTP mail transport protocols.
Your ISP may support IMAP.  It is pretty common now.  If not,
use fetchmail.  Fetchmail will talk to the POP3 server on your
ISP, suck down the data, then talk to the SMTP agent on your
local Linux box, (port 25).  This is cool because you can use
procmail as your MDA (mail deliv agent) on your Linux
box and have it filter your mail for you before you read it.
I run procmail on my local ISP, which saves me the hassle of
downloading everything all the time.

You can then use pine to read your mail locally.

In my opinion, if you are using POP to get your mail, mew,
or a dozen other mail readers might meet your needs.  The two
big things about Pine are 1) IMAP, and 2) pretty good directory
structure for folders.

Procmail can filter the incoming mail directly into your pine
./mail/ folders.  Like ./mail/tlug.incoming ./mail/debian-jp.incoming
 ./mail/gomi  ./mail/URGENT   ./mail/my_prog.log

--- Craig

BTW, on a different mail subject, I've been trying to get
JavaMail (0.61 beta I think) to work on Linux JDK 1.1.3 and
Windows (I only booted it to test the JDK) JDK 1.1.5.  However,
I can't even compile the demo programs.  I'm getting deprecated
methods errors.  I have not had time to look at the source
for the Java progs and try to find the bugs in it yet.
I'm pretty interested in the IMAP support.  Maybe its time to
start writing a custom mail reader, one command at a time.  ;-)
Has anyone used JavaMail successfully for anything?

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: