tlug: palmtop PHS (Toshiba GENIO)

Following up, the PCV100 is a Toshiba GENIO.  It looks a little bit
like a Pilot, but includes a built-in PHS phone w/ 32kbps (alpha data 32
and PIAFS?).  It has a 32-bit RISC CPU (MIPS?), Geoworks OS, 1M RAM,
4M memory card (optional?), IrDA 1.0, RS-232-C, 239x160 monochrome display
with pen input, 12x12 kanji font, PPP, POP3, SMTP, web browser, PDA stuff
(scheduler, address book, to-do list), and E->J dictionary.
I saw one in Akihabara (not demonstrated) for 20,000 yen.
There is an English press release (from February) at

	http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/1997_02/pr2701.htm

and details (in Japanese) are at http://www2.toshiba.co.jp/genio/.

Has anyone tried this thing?  My main concern is an early item
on the FAQ which says that user apps cannot be developed currently.
So, e.g., no IMAP nor telnet interfaces from a 3rd party.
But I can't read much of the Japanese, so I'd appreciate any
pointers to clarification.  I think it hit the streets in September.
I wonder if there'll be an upgrade for programmability by March?

--
J. David Beutel       "You're inhabited by the society you live in through
11011011 jdb@example.com  your use of language." McCorduck on Turkle on Lacan

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: