tlug: Linux binaries of XEmacs 20.3

    Manuel> Hi TLUGers!  I was wondering whether anybody knows about
    Manuel> precompiled versions of the new XEmacs version 20.3 for
    Manuel> Linux that include Mule support.  At

They are planned, but at the moment binary kits are coming in pretty
slowly.  There should be RPM versions both Mule and non-Mule on
file://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs-20.3/ or something like that very
soon.

There will be a .tgz (Slackware/non-package-managed) version without
Mule.  No plans for a Mule .tgz as far as I know.  Eventually there
will be Debian versions, Mule and non-Mule, if I have to do it myself.
:-)  But I won't have time for about 2 weeks I would guess; the
deadline for binary kits is Dec 31.

However, I recommend getting the source and compiling it yourself in
any case.  The binary kits are statically linked with everything,
except maybe libc and libX11.  One problem with the Mule support is
that few of the kit builders on Linux have Canna and Wnn.  AFAIK they
will be built without XIM support, as that is still considered
experimental.  (One important XIM-related crash on XFree86 was fixed
midway in the 20.3 development series, but others remain in the Motif
and other platforms, in particular in Spacr/Linux.)  Canna, when
available, will use the Canna 3.2 libraries at the request of the
Canna developers who still consider 3.5 to be a beta version.  I don't
know if binaries compiled with Wnn4 support can use the additional
features of Wnn6, and so on.

The stated purpose of the XEmacs binary kits is to have something
stable and staticly linked with known good libraries available.
Distributions and proprietary vendors are encouraged and expected to
provide optimized versions.

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: